Ms. Leisy joined the firm in 2000 as an associate and became a partner in 2005. She served as managing partner from 2011 through 2016. Her practice focuses on advising and representing public agencies, project applicants and citizen’s groups during administrative proceedings and in trial and appellate litigation, with a focus on issues arising under the California Environmental Quality Act, the State Planning and Zoning Law, the National Environmental Policy Act, the state and federal Endangered Species Act, the Integrated Waste Management Act, and initiative and referendum law as they relate to land use matters. Ms. Leisy has also worked on projects involving compliance with, or permitting under, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Toxic Substances Control Act, and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act. Ms. Leisy regularly teaches CEQA, land use and environmental law continuing education classes and seminars for professional organizations such as the Association of Environmental Professionals (AEP), League of California Cities and the California State Association of Counties. Current representative matters include:
- Lead attorney representing Waste Management of California, Inc. and Chemical Waste Management, Inc., in various organics recovery, TS/MRF, and alternative energy projects, as well as in administrative entitlement processes and litigation throughout the state.
- Outside counsel to various private applicants pursuing entitlements and the completion of environmental review for: commercial cannabis related activities; affordable housing developments; aggregate mining; and congregate care projects.
- Outside counsel to the City of Los Angeles, the Port of Los Angeles, and the City of Newport Beach in various matters subject to litigation, environmental review and entitlements.
Representative Cases Ms. Leisy has been counsel of record in numerous published and unpublished cases since 2002, including:
- Stein et al. v. Alameda County Waste Management Authority (2020) 2020 WL 4745561 (Counsel for Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc.)
- Sunset Coalition v. City of Los Angeles (2018) 2018 WL 1046243 (Counsel for Respondent City of Los Angeles)
- Placerville Historic Preservation League v. Judicial Council of California (2017) 16 Cal.App.5th 187 (counsel for Respondent Judicial Council)
- County Sanitation Dist. No. 2 of Los Angeles County v. County of Kern (2016) Tulare County Superior Court (counsel for Respondents City of Los Angeles, et al.)
- City of Irwindale v. City of Azusa (2013) Los Angeles County Superior Court (counsel for Real Party in Interest Azusa Land Reclamation, Inc.)
- Gale Banks Engineering v. City of Azusa (2013) Los Angeles County Superior Court (counsel for Real Party Azusa Reclamation, Inc.)
- El Pueblo Para El Aire y Agua Limpio v. Kings County (2012) 2012 Cal.App.Unpub.LEXIS 4984 (counsel for Real Party in Interest)
- Citizens for Open Government v. City of Lodi (2012) 205 Cal.App.4th 296 (counsel for Real Party in Interest)
- California Native Plant Society v. County of El Dorado (2009) 170 Cal.App.4th 1026 (counsel for Real Party in Interest).