Mr. Manley’s practice focuses on advising and representing public agencies, project applicants, and citizen’s groups both during administrative proceedings and in trial and appellate litigation. His practice encompasses California and Federal environmental and land use law, including the California Environmental Quality Act, National Environmental Policy Act, California Planning and Zoning Law, Subdivision Map Act, Williamson Act, initiatives and referenda, air and water quality, solid and hazardous waste, forestry, natural resources, endangered species, wetlands and related matters.
Upon graduation from law school in 1987, Mr. Manley spent a year clerking for the late Chief Judge Robert F. Peckham of the Northern District of California. He then joined the environmental section of McCutchen Doyle in San Francisco. In 1991 he moved to Sacramento and joined Remy and Thomas as an associate. He joined the partnership in 1996, became a named partner in 2003, and served as managing partner from 2007 through 2011. He went of counsel in 2014.
Along with Tina Thomas and Jim Moose, he is co-author of Guide to the California Environmental Quality Act (11th ed. 2007, Solano Press Books).
- Martis Camp Community Assn. v. County of Placer (2020) 53 Cal.App.5th 569 (CEQA).
- Stopthemillenniumhollywood.com v. City of Los Angeles (2019) 39 Cal.App.5th 1 (as Amicus Curiae) (CEQA).
- Banning Ranch Conservancy v. City of Newport Beach (2017) 2 Cal.5th 918 (CEQA).
- Japanese Village LLC v. Federal Transit Administration, 843 F.3d 445 (9th Cir. 2016) (NEPA).
- Mission Bay Alliance v. Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure (2016) 6 Cal.App.5th 160 (CEQA).
- Sierra Club v. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, 840 F.3d 1106 (9th Cir. 2016) (Tahoe Regional Planning Compact).
- Beverly Hills Unified School Dist. v. Los Angeles County Metropolitan Trans. Auth. (2015) 241 Cal.App.4th 627 (CEQA).
- Defend Our Waterfront v. California State Lands Com. (2015) 240 Cal.App.4th 570 (CEQA).
- Citizens for a Sustainable Treasure Island v. City and County of San Francisco (2014) 227 Cal.App.4th 1036 (CEQA).
- California Clean Energy Committee v. City of Woodland (2014) 225 Cal.App.4th 173 (CEQA).
- North Coast Rivers Alliance v. Marin Municipal Water Dist. Bd. of Directors (2013) 216 Cal.App.4th 614 (CEQA).
- Sierra Club v. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (E. D. Cal. 2013) 916 F.Supp.2d 1098 (Tahoe Regional Planning Compact, CEQA).
- Stockton Citizens for Sensible Planning v. City of Stockton (2010) 48 Cal.4th 481 (as Amicus Curiae) (CEQA).
- Sustainable Transportation Advocates of Santa Barbara v. Santa Barbara County Assn. of Governments (2009) 179 Cal.App.4th 113 (CEQA).
- South Yuba River Citizens League v. National Marine Fisheries Service, 237 F.R.D. 607 (E.D. Cal. 2009) (Federal Endangered Species Act).
- Friends of the Sierra Railroad v. Tuolumne Park and Recreation Dist. (2007) 147 Cal.App.4th 643 (CEQA).
- Save Our Neighborhood v. Lishman (2006) 140 Cal.App.4th 1288 (CEQA).
- Association for Sensible Development at Northstar, Inc. v. Placer County (2004) 122 Cal.App.4th 1289 (CEQA).
- Friends of Davis v. City of Davis (2000) 83 Cal.App.4th 1004 (CEQA).
- Citizens for Responsible Government v. City of Albany (1997) 56 Cal.App.4th 1199 (as Amicus Curiae) (CEQA).
- Chaparral Greens v. City of Chula Vista (1996) 50 Cal.App.4th 1134 (CEQA).
- Western States Petroleum Ass’n v. Superior Court (1995) 9 Cal.4th 559 (as Amicus Curiae) (CEQA).
- Natural Resources Defense Council v. California Fish and Game Comm’n (1994) 28 Cal.App.4th 1104 (California Endangered Species Act).
- Board of Supervisors of Sacramento County v. Local Agency Formation Comm’n of Sacramento County (1992) 3 Cal.4th 903 (CEQA).
- Ecodyne Corp. v. Shah, 718 F.Supp 1454 (N.D. Cal. 1989) (CERCLA).